Here’s a glimpse of the final installments of Rinaldo S. Brutoco’s Perspectives Column in the Montecito Journal, from the end of June 2022 to the end of August 2022.
- Past As Prologue: This column addresses the January 6th Committee Hearings, and compares the event to other historical moments in the US where our democracy has been challenged.
- We Hold These Truths To Be Self-Evident: Rinaldo observes the “call to duty” Americans have, particularly Republicans aligned with “Trumpism,” to break party lines and work to embrace our democratic institutions.
- The 2nd Amendment: Rinaldo addresses the logistics of the 2nd Amendment, and why it is simply not a constitutional right for the public to bear military-grade arms.
- Fareed Zakaria Got it Wrong!: Rinaldo addresses Fareed Zakaria’s broadcast on the Russia-Ukraine Conflict, and how he was wrong to claim that the war must come to an end even if that means assuaging Putin’s warmongering by surrendering a part of Ukraine to Russia.
- Wow! Fareed Got it Wrong Again: Rinaldo once again addresses Fareed Zakaria’s broadcasting segment, this time about his proposed solutions for “tackling climate change.” Rinaldo explains why he disagrees with Fareed’s recommendations for increasing nuclear power, burning more natural gas in power plants, and other ineffective suggestions.
- Positive Power Progress: Rinaldo argues why it is clearer now than ever that we need to reimagine how we create electricity, how we distribute it, and how we use it, especially with the assistance of hydrogen.
- Don’t Call This Court “Conservative”: Rinaldo argues that the current Supreme Court is not dominated by “Conservatives,” but rather radical and potentially dangerous Justices.
- Shay’s Rebellion: On the 236th anniversary of Shay’s Rebellion, Rinaldo offers a history of the first test of the young United States, and how it compares to the January 6th insurrection.
- Pinnacle Point: In Rinaldo’s final column for the time being, he reflects on our human capacity to evolve into a type of being much more powerful, humane, and sustainable than we have achieved to date.
As of September 2022, the column is on an indefinite hiatus due to Rinaldo’s schedule being occupied with exciting developments in other Academy incubated projects and a few staffing changes. Rinaldo may pick up the column again once things around the Academy settle.